Thursday, September 17, 2009

Class 9/17


In class today we worked on a quiz for chapter 3. We went over the quiz as a group and talked about the most important parts of the chapter. Everyone was a little confused due to technology. We took pictures of environmental stressors around campus. I took a picture of Clet dining hall. I took a picture of Clet dining hall because I do not find the food there enjoyable or satisfying. Because I am constantly eating pizza from Clet dining hall this is an environmental stressor in my life. We also watched videos about Peter. Peter is a child with down-syndrome. It was amazing to see Peter's transformation especially the strides he made during third grade. At first, Peter was not included and this was because his classmates and teacher were scared. His classmates were scared because they did not know why Peter acted and looked the way he did. It was not an easy adjustment for anyone in the class. Initially, I sympathized with the other children because I thought it was not fair that they were subject to Peter's outbursts (hitting, kicking, and yelling) while they were learning. Then I realized that Peter could not totally control his behavior, he never asked to have a disability which caused him to have outbursts. I saw Peter as a hinderence to the other student's learning but quickly realized he was teaching his classmates new things everyday. I think you have to put yourself in Peter's family's shoes. If I had a child with disablities, I would want he/she to be included in a classroom and experience interacting with other students. It is important to develop some kind of social skills if possible and Peter was very capable. His classmates and teacher opened their hearts and minds to him after some time. The classroom became a happier and more learning condusive. The students accepted Peter and wanted him to succeed. I thought it was so nice that they would cheer him on and clap for him when he showed improvement. Not only were the other students learning third-grade cirriculum, they were better prepared members of society. I think it's great that Peter touched so many lives. I learned a lot from this video.

2 comments:

  1. You touched on the major points of Peter's story.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. and one more thing.
    Why did you take a picture of Clet dining hall? How does it fit in with the assignment? Make sure and add this type of information (and the image) with your posting.

    ReplyDelete