Thursday, October 15, 2009

QUIZ WK 7: Class 10/15 Chalkboard Assignment


What kind of activity is this?

This activity requires us to think about the information/characteristics we know and incorporate a new element. We had to develop a metaphor of our own and then illustrate it with a drawing and words. This engages different parts of our intellgence. This could be a useful technique in a classroom because it could be thought of like a list for students who are less creative or it could be seen as a picture with each part contributing to the whole. This is an example of teaching to multiple intelligences.


How does it challenge me?

I think the most challenging part was thinking of a good metaphor and something to draw. I picked sneakers because they have many parts: the sole, the shoe, the laces, a bow, etc. Another challenging aspect was trying to make it clear to anyone who looked at it. I feel as though I am a somewhat creative individual because of my experiences with music, dance, and art so it was challenging because I felt as though I needed to make it perfect.


What backgorund knowledge am I using to complete this activity?

I used my knowledge of what I have read in previous chapters. I am also demonstrating my knowledge with an everyday object, something that everyone knows and can picture (even if my artistic ability is not superb).

I used my own creativity. Chapter 9 has a large section on creativity. Table 9.1 (Kirk et. al., pg 292) gives the dimensions and behaviors needed for creativity. I think the dimensions display exactly what Shelley was trying to get us to do in class. The dimensions listed on the table are: generating ideas, digging deeper into ideas, courage to explore ideas, and listening to one's inner voice. Being creative can cause someone to feel vulnerable- we all need to feel self conscious at some point. A great idea could be hiding inside of all of us.


Do I love this blackboard or the OTHER blackboard?

I personally haven't had much struggle with the OTHER blackboard. oops..I probably just jinx'd myself. It was strange to draw/write on a traditional blackboard because I haven't used one since middle school.



1 comment: