
When I got to Mrs. Burkett's classroom yesterday, there was a sign on the door that said they were in the computer lab. As I was walking to the computer lab I ran into some of the student's from the class. Mrs. Burkett was sending them to the library to do more research. They asked me to come to the library with them. I felt honored that they wanted me to come work with them. One of the students told me he had been asking Mrs. Burkett all week when I was going to come to class again. They are working on non-fiction children's books. The two students I worked with are researching sharks for their non-fiction books. The reason two students were researching the same topic is because one of the students loves working together. He has "processing difficulties." As I was working with these students in the library I realized how much they liked the attention I was giving them. They were getting a lot of their work done and they would tell me little things about their lives and what they like to do. It was a great feeling to get to know these students. I was happy they respected me enough to let me into their lives. One student was looking forward to an upcoming cheer leading competition. The other student was looking forward to "open gym" at Gaskill that night. He was also looking forward to his sister coming home for Thanksgiving. My last Learn and Serve will be the Wednesday after break. I asked the students I was working with if they would like it if I brought in goodie bags for the whole class on my last day. Their faces lit up! The boy said, "That would be really nice!!" I feel as though my mission in life is to bring joy to other people, especially children, even if it's only a moment of joy. I love brightening other people's day. I've had times in my life where I've questioned if teaching is the right profession for me. I always say, Yes it is, because I really care about students, want to educate them, and create joy.
Mrs. Burkett didn't know I was helping the students in the library because the students stopped me before I got to the computer lab. When their class period ended, she was thrilled that I had helped them! She said that one of the students was a 504 Plan. This is a plan for students who do not qualify for an IEP. "Problems such as failing grades, a pattern of suspensions, chronic behavior problems, or failure to complete or return homework may qualify a child for additional support under Section 504, but this law can act as a bridge between general and special education and is the first step to the response to intervention..."(Kirk et. al., pg 41).
Mrs. Burkett didn't know I was helping the students in the library because the students stopped me before I got to the computer lab. When their class period ended, she was thrilled that I had helped them! She said that one of the students was a 504 Plan. This is a plan for students who do not qualify for an IEP. "Problems such as failing grades, a pattern of suspensions, chronic behavior problems, or failure to complete or return homework may qualify a child for additional support under Section 504, but this law can act as a bridge between general and special education and is the first step to the response to intervention..."(Kirk et. al., pg 41).
Another Learn and Serve student came in. She was complaining that she did not want to be there. She had changed her major. She moped around the whole time she was there. I was wishing she would leave because she was bringing a negative vibe with her. She said that after working with "these students" she realized she did not want to be a teacher because "these kids scared her." I felt that I have learned the exact opposite lesson and I am thrilled. I have learned at this placement that although these students act tough, they are still "just kids." The more I work with them one-on-one I see their inner-child come out and their eagerness to learn.
J - Excellent across the board!
ReplyDeleteJust missing a APA reference to the text. Look up Chapter 504.
Great work